Pangasinan will celebrate it’s Centennial on February 2019!
Pangasinan’s Provincial Capitol, declared as among the eight Architectural Treasures of the Philippines by the Filipino Heritage Festival of the National Commission for Culture and the Arts, marked an important milestone with it recently its centennial of completion.
With the theme “Stronger Heritage, Stronger Pangasinan”, the commemorative rites was highlighted with a Thanksgiving Mass and an Anticipated Simbang Gabi, a musical variety show with a Kidiyam 3D projection of the Capitol Building History, capped with a grand fireworks display.
Governor Amado Espino III said the observance is a source of pride for the province being one of the most beautiful capitol buildings and complexes across the country.
He said that the Sangguniang Panlalawigan (SP) recently declared the edifice as a cultural treasure of Pangasinan thru the passage of Provincial Ordinance No. 27-2018 in recognition of its significance as an icon of the province.
The ordinance declared the Capitol as a heritage, and allocated funds for its preservation.
“In order to commemorate and immortalize the significant historical and cultural milestone of the Provincial Capitol Building’s 100 years of history and culture, there is an essential need to declare it as a heritage site in the Province of Pangasinan,” the resolution states.
Its overall design was influenced by the city masterplan of renowned 20th-century American architect and urban planner Daniel Burnham, and implemented by Architect William Parson under the direct supervision of Architect Ralph Harrington Doane during the term of Daniel Maramba, seventh governor of Pangasinan.
Located in Lingayen town, construction began started with the cornerstone laying on April 21, 1917 and completed in December 1918 with a P300,000 budget, but with a final cost at P411,942. It was inaugurated on February 11, 1919 with the holding of a nine-day provincial fair and exposition.
Its neoclassical architecture and materials of concrete with limestone on the exterior to display its warm color, made it the most impressive public structure during that period.
The building’s main portion is rectangular, and set on a podium of several steps. The structure is characterized by the use of imposing columns, entablatures, and pediments with spacious rooms, high ceilings, and large windows arranged along wide corridors.
During World War II, bombings brought heavy damages on the Capitol before the Allied Forces under Gen. Douglas McArthur landed in Lingayen on January 9, 1945.
In 1946, the edifice was rebuilt and restored to its prewar grandeur through the Philippine Rehabilitation Act passed by the United States Congress. It underwent a major facelift and rehabilitation works from August 2007 to December 2008 under former governor Amado Espino, Jr.
All the other provincial government offices within the Capitol Complex were also renovated over the years. Because of its beautiful landscape, the Capitol has become one of Pangasinan’s top three most visited spots.
Within the sprawling government compound are the Veterans Memorial Park which marks the Allied Forces landing, the Sison Auditorium, the Capitol Resort, the scenic Baywalk, the Agbayani Park, and the Urduja Hall, the official residence of the provincial governor.
The Philippine Postal Corporation also launched a commemorative stamp as part of the centennial.
Celebrations will continue with the observance of the 74th Lingayen Gulf Landings on Jan. 9, and culminate with the centennial of the Capitol’s inauguration on Feb. 11, 2019.